Darice 5-Piece Painting Knife Set

Darice 5-Piece Painting Knife SetAll in all, 3 stars for me, but it really depends on the task.

I use one of them for mixing epoxy and such, and I haven't had any issue as far as functionality is concerned. This should be an OK set for painting. If this is all I do with them, I would have given them 3.5 stars.

I also use these kind of things to work glue into narrow seams for repairing wooden musical instruments, which sometimes needs some force. For this purpose, this set is not up to the task. The blades are fine, the issue is the ferrule and the handle. 2 stars for this.

Here are some potential issues (see my picture):

1. Ferrules are not particularly tight and handle is made of some not-so-hard wood.

This means that, if you use these with some lateral force, you'll crack the handle. That already happened on me once.

This shouldn't be a problem for mixing paint, epoxy, putty etc. at all, though.

2. Compared with my pricier (probably $10 per piece) painting knives, these have rougher blade surface (they have some scratch marks).

I'm OK with this.

3. Edges of some blades had fine burrs.

I needed to pass the edge on a fine sand paper several times.

4. Handles of some of the knives were badly marked as if the worker screwed up when trying to fit the ferrule.

Doesn't affect the functionality.

I was worried about this set being flimsy, since I was not able to hold them in person before making my purchase, but on the contrary they are sturdy and perfect for doing the job. Love to paint with them!

Buy Darice 5-Piece Painting Knife Set Now

I needed a specific size palette knife and ordered this set since it included the one required. When the set came, it was poorly packaged and instead of the five different palette knife shapes, two were the same. Fortunately the one I need was there, but beware if you are looking for all the styles, you may be surprised by what you get in the package. The quality control is not good although the knives themselves are OK.

Read Best Reviews of Darice 5-Piece Painting Knife Set Here

I've only had these for a few days, so take this with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't recommend these for a serious artist. The metal is thick and not very well crafted. I've just started painting with knives and I was lucky enough to have two good ones to start with, but I needed some variety so I thought I'd try these.

I'm just not getting the quality of stroke that I was getting from my other knives.

Want Darice 5-Piece Painting Knife Set Discount?

Artist supplies tend to have a significant mark-up which is fine when purchasing a top of the line paint or canvas but who wants to spend more money on knives? I don't! Let's face it, they tend to wear out over time if for no other reason than the harsh chemical cleaners. I thought I'd give this a try just because of the price; the entire five pieces cost only a little more than one knife at my local art supply store. I was concerned over the quality it's more than adequate although nothing to get excited about.

Handles are wood and finished but little more. The metal is flexible but firm. I actually prefer a bit less flexibility but given the price, these suffice just fine. Easy to clean and work as intended. A very good option for those searching for value priced items without totally sacrificing all quality.

Save 37% Off

0 comments:

Post a Comment